References for C&GC Applicants
Reference Request Responses
We have instructed applicants to fill out a form listing people they would like to use as their references. In an effort to be as fair as possible, a form has been sent to each reference listed with the same questions for the reference to answer. Below is general guidance for you as a reference.
Tips for referees filling out the reference form for postdoctoral applicants of the UCAR | CPAESS NOAA Climate & Global Change Postdoctoral program.
- Reference forms should address the applicant's level of scholarship including placement in class, scientific potential, and qualifications for postdoctoral research.
- Your comments regarding the applicant will be treated confidentially and will be used by the steering committee to help determine both strengths and weaknesses of the applicant. We seek to identify those applicants who show outstanding potential for innovative and transformational science, who can guide their own work, and who are likely to excel in leadership, collaborative research and technical skills. Any specific comment you wish to make regarding the above and the applicant’s ability to work independently, to pursue new topics, and to interact with others will be very useful.
- Questions references will be asked to respond to on the form include:
- How has this candidate demonstrated creativity and innovation in their work
- How has this candidate demonstrated an ability to guide their own research?
- What is the distinctive and discernible contribution of the applicant's prior research within the bigger C&GC science picture?
- How will the applicant's proposed research contribute to the bigger C&GC science picture?
- Description of notable skills that the candidate has demonstrated, including technical skills, communication, or collaboration skills.
- Description of how the candidate has demonstrated leadership. Please note the level of effort and initiative involved.
- Comments that you feel are important to help us evaluate this candidate’s application for a C&GC Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- Please respond to the Reference Form that we send you. If you have any questions or issues please reach out to Kate Rodd at firstname.lastname@example.org or Cindy Bruyère at email@example.com.
- Please complete your Reference Request Response by the deadline of January 18, 2023.