Strategic Plan Project
The Cooperative Programs for the Advancement of Earth System Science (CPAESS) are conducting a Strategic Planning process to proactively anticipate and respond to the needs of the Earth system science community for a wide range of services over the next five years in the following service areas:
- Science program support and partnership development
- Scientific career and workforce development
- Events planning and management services
As a UCAR program office serving the broad Earth system science community with a wide range of stakeholders, CPAESS Strategic Planning is a community-driven, staged effort that began in late 2017 by seeking input from multiple constituents and via multiple channels of engagement to inform the development of a high-level Strategic Plan openly available to the community.
Components and Timeline
Phase 1 - FY2018
- Announce project to CPAESS community - December 2017 - February 2018
- Engage all CPAESS Staff in focus group discussions - January - August 2018
- Review of community documents - February 2018 - April 2018
- SWOT process integration (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) - May - July 2018
- Survey of CPAESS stakeholders - August 2018
- Follow-on one-on-one stakeholder interviews - August 2018
- Analysis of data SWOT and survey data - September 2018
Phase 2 - FY2019
- Analysis and synthesis of all community input and feedback, survey data, SWOT data - October to December 2018
- Identification and validation of key strategic issues, goals, actions - December 2017 - May 2019
- Content generation and drafting of Strategic Plan - June - July 2019
- Editing and formatting of Strategic Plan - August 2019
- Targeted release and briefings of Final Strategic Plan - September 2019
- Fall of 2019 and Spring of 2020 the Strategic Plan was perfected.
- Now: The Strategic Plan is in final review with the UCP Directorate.
- Now: The Implementation Plan is in process with the CPAESS Leadership Team
UCAR Community Programs (UCP) Projects Evaluator Valerie Williams and Josh Young have worked with the CPAESS management team (Hanne Mauriello - Director; Melanie Russ - Project Manager; Maureen Nelson - Business Manager) along with CPAESS Communications Dawn Mullally and Eileen McIlvain.
CPAESS Program Director, Hanne Mauriello, is always available for comments or questions regarding the CPAESS Strategic Planning Process. Contact her at email@example.com.