Letters of Reference WINGS Dissertation Fellowship
Reference Request Responses
We have instructed applicants to fill out a form listing people they would like to use as their references. In an effort to be as fair as possible, a form has been sent to each reference listed with the same questions for the reference to answer. Below is general guidance for you as a reference.
Tips for referees filling out the reference form for applicants of the Weather Program Office's Ph.D Dissertation Fellowship (WINGS)
- Reference forms should address the applicant's level of scholarship including placement in class, scientific potential, and qualifications for research.
- Your comments regarding the applicant will be treated confidentially and will be used by the steering committee to help determine both strengths and weaknesses of the applicant. Any specific comment you wish to make regarding the applicant’s ability to work independently, to pursue new topics, and to interact with others will be very useful.
- Questions references will be asked to respond to on the form include:
- How has this candidate demonstrated creativity and innovation in their work?
- What was one of the candidate’s most memorable accomplishments while working with you?
- What type of work environment do you think the candidate will most likely thrive in and why?
- What skills would you have liked to see the candidate develop to reach their full potential?
- How does the candidate approach challenges?
- Please respond to the Reference Form that we send you. If you have any questions or issues please reach out to Kate Rodd at firstname.lastname@example.org or Cindy Bruyère at email@example.com.
- Please check back in the fall for the class of 2024 application deadlines.