UCAR Steering Committee
John Chiang, Department of Geography, University of California, Berkeley
Dennis Hartmann, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington
Emily Fischer, Department of Atmospheric Science, Colorado State University
Kathleen Johnson, Department of Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine
Helene Seroussi, Department of Engineering, Dartmouth College
Forrest Hoffman, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Chris Still, Department of Forest Ecosystems and Society, Oregon State University
Laure Zanna, Courant Institute, New York University
The steering committee meets annually to review applications and make recommendations to CPAESS for appointments. Steering committee terms are generally three years.
- Innovation, excellence, and relevance to the NOAA mission.
- Applicant must move to a new institution, except in compelling circumstances. Please add a justification statement, if applicable, to the cover letter.
- Applicant has held a PhD for no more than three years from the application deadline.
- Applicants should apply only if they anticipate finishing their PhD by 1 December of the award year.
- Awardees must start their fellowship by the second Monday in December of the award year.
- Applications that are not complete will not be reviewed by the steering committee. For example, for an application to be complete, we must have all 4 letters, etc.
- One or two page letter of interest from host indicating areas of focus and vitae is required.
- Preference is that no more than one postdoctoral fellow is hosted within a department at the same time.
- Host is responsible for mentoring fellow, but fellow is an independent researcher.
- Hosting institution must be in the U.S.
- Hosts are expected to provide office space, telephone, computer, IT services, and office support for the fellow.
- Four professional reference letters are required. One must be from thesis advisor.
- A reference letter cannot be from the potential host.
- Referees need to refer to the Letters of Reference guidlelines section before writing letter.
Committee Member Hosting Postdoc
- Committee members cannot directly host postdocs.
- Postdoc may go to a committee members institution, but may not work in a committee member's group.
Applicant from Committee Member's Institution
Members who are from the same administrative unit as applicant should not take part in:
- Advocacy (which could lead to promoting a candidate unfairly over another)
- Committee member should leave room for deliberations and vote
- Questions of fact are okay
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.