CPAESS Educational Opportunities
Fall is application season, and CPAESS has some wonderful opportunities for students to delve deeper into their science. These four educational programs that CPAESS manages will be announcing their application openings very soon. So please keep an eye out for updates on their websites.
- NEW! Weather Program Office's Innovation for Next Generation Scientists (WINGS) Fellowship: PhD Dissertation Fellowship - This new fellowship is designed to help support doctoral students as they write their dissertation while matching them with a NOAA mentor to grow their research. The initial focus of this new NOAA fellowship will be on EPIC related research for students who have passed their qualifying exam or have their proposal accepted as they commence with their dissertation. Watch cpaess.ucar.edu for application announcement and learn more here.
- NASA Jack Eddy Postdoctoral Fellowship Program - After a brief hiatus this fellowship will increase its number of fellows to 5 who are pursuing interdisciplinary work in heliophysics. This fellowship program is named after pioneering solar researcher John A. “Jack” Eddy. The two-year fellowship is designed to train the next generation of heliophysics researchers. It matches early-career PhDs with experienced scientists at U.S. host research institutions. Find out more about the NASA Jack Eddy Fellowship here.
- NOAA Climate & Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship Program - This prestigious postdoctoral fellowship’s overarching purpose is to help create and train the next generation of leading researchers needed for climate studies. The program focuses on observing, understanding, modeling, and predicting climate variability and change on seasonal and longer time scales. 8 new positions for this coming year. Discover more about the NOAA C&GC fellowship.
- NASA Heliophysics Summer School Program - Run by NASA's Living With a Star program and UCAR | CPAESS since 2007, this Summer School focuses on the physics of space weather events that start at the Sun and influence atmospheres, ionospheres and magnetospheres throughout the solar system. The coming summer there will be a virtual to increase the number of students who can participate, as well as an in-person portion to be held in Boulder next summer. Learn more about the Heliophysics Summer School here.
- NOAA Explorer-In-Training Internship Program - This program equips participants with skills to meet the current and future demands of the ocean exploration workforce, providing meaningful experiential learning opportunities and provides two different types of internships - both onboard the NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer and on land. Interns gain valuable, interdisciplinary experience in ocean exploration while collaborating on office projects and expeditions. Learn more about these unique and exciting internships here.
May 21, 2023
PUNCH 4 Science Meeting
May 2, 2023
2023 NASA Jack Eddy Postdoctoral Fellows!
Apr 6, 2023
Exploration in Alaska aboard the Okeanos
Apr 4, 2023
New CPAESS Scientist Joins the GOMO Team
Mar 6, 2023
Announcement display dates